Sunday, July 26, 2015

An open book....


There's a ton of pressure from the world to look like the women on the cover of magazines. The women who shop at any store and walk into a mall with so many choices as if everything has been hand picked for them...and it has. This pressure turns into constant paranoia and anxiety that robs you from opportunities in pursuit of “perfect”. 

We've all been there, in fact I'm still there. We try to change ourselves and we suffer through discomforts all in an effort to fit in and be accepted. 

We lose weight, we gain weight and we repeat the process again and again. I think most of us are always on a diet and when asked at any given time there is always some food that we are at war with. 

Being overweight I am living in a body that I struggle to love everyday. The pressure from society to be something I am not is constantly on my mind. Society treats fat people differently as if our size is a reflection of our worth because people instantly type cast you like the other "fat"people they see in the media. As if they have an open window into your life. 

Truth is, we live in a body that immediately declares our self-worth based on the media's standard of beauty. But it is my body right? Or maybe it is yours..... 

The reality is no matter how much I love myself I'm constantly reminded that I should feel ashamed. It's a constant struggle for me and for anyone who feels the pressure to be the starlet on TV, the women in the fitness video or the model on the magazine, but at the end of the day I am in control. What matters to me is what is important and only I can make a change if I want to. It's only until we love ourselves that we can truly be free. To that I say "Screw you society!" I've got this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment